I heard many users frequently reporting a problem that the Whirlpool dryer is not turning on or the start button is flashing. Today, I decided to find out some solutions to this problem.
After a lot of research, practice, and experiments, I concluded that this issue can be caused by a few trivial reasons. For example, a malfunctioning moisture sensor, loose door latch, accumulated lint, or a dirty vent.
But, the question is what is the most effective method to resolve this issue? This article will guide you that what tricks you should apply to your Whirlpool Cabrio dryer to fix it.
So, stay with me till the end of this guide. Be sure to follow every step correctly. I will tell you the problems and their solutions.
Table of contents
1. Malfunctioning Moisture Sensor
One of the common reasons your Whirlpool Cabrio dryer start button is flashing is the faulty moisture sensor. It needs a proper checkup. The moisture sensor is in the form of two silver strips at the backbox.
It functions to detect the amount of moisture in clothes and then sends signals to the control board. If it starts malfunctioning, the dryer will perceive that all the clothes have been dried.
Hence, the dryer will not start or its button will continue flashing. First, you should locate the moisture sensor and clean it thoroughly. Then, conduct a test to confirm its performance.
Put a load of dry clothes in your dryer, it will run for a few minutes before shutting down. However, if the dryer keeps on running for a long time even with dry clothes, the moisture sensor is faulty.
Consult the manufacturer or a professional technician to replace the component.
2. Loose Door Latch
Another common reason for the Whirlpool Cabrio dryer start button flashing is the loose door latch. The door should be firmly closed to start the dryer. Otherwise, the dryer will not start as a safety measure.
So, push the door and latch it firmly to the clasp areas. The light should go OFF if the door is properly closed.
You can attach something to close the door tightly or hold it with your hand, now start the dryer to see the difference. However, replace the door latch to solve the issue permanently.
3. Dirty Lint Screen
A lint screen or lint trap is an important part of the dryer exhaust system. It serves as a filtration component and catches most of the laundry lint before it gets into the vent.
Nevertheless, if the lint screen is not cleaned regularly, it gathers debris. This affects the normal functioning of your dryer. Hence, you should clean the lint screen of your Whirlpool Cabrio dryer to fix the issue;
- Locate the lint screen in your dryer, it is generally located inside the dryer door or on the top.
- First, remove the lint with your fingers or use a soft and dry cloth.
- Use warm water to wash both sides of the lint screen.
- Take a nylon brush and soak it in liquid detergent. Now, scrub the lint screen with the brush to remove the residual.
- Rinse the screen again with warm water. Finally, dry the screen using a clean and dry towel.
- Now, check if the start button stops flashing and the dryer works normally.
4. Clogged Dryer Vent
A vent is used to remove the excess hot air and moisture from the dryer. It provides ventilation to the dryer so that it does not get overheated.
If the vent is clogged, crushed, or pinched, the air cannot pass through it. Sometimes, a clothing article blocks the vent. Hence, you need to clean the vent properly;
- Unplug your Whirlpool Cabrio dryer from the wall power outlet.
- Move it away from the wall and disconnect the vent and hose.
- Using a vacuum cleaner, remove all the debris trapped inside the vent.
- Make sure the hose does not have any pinch and is straight. You should replace the vent if it is crushed or broken.
- After a thorough cleaning, connect the vent to the dryer and move it back to its place. Keep the dryer 8 inches away from the wall.
- Now, connect it to the power supply and check if the start button still flashes or not.
- Moreover, the length of the vent should according to the manufacturer’s recommendation. A too-long vent hose with the wrong elbow can also create such problems.
5. Defective Control Board
The control board is responsible to control and operate the dryer. If any of its components fails to function normally, your dryer start button will flash but it would not start.
The control board has many intricate connections, wires, and plugs that are linked to each other. It can be checked using a Multimeter. You should check the various parts of the control board for continuity.
Unplug your dryer from the wall power outlet and remove the top panel to expose the control board. If you are not familiar with electronic appliances, it is better to call a technician.
6. Run the Diagnostic Test on Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer
A diagnostic test is very helpful to know the exact problem. You can enter into the diagnostic mode on your Whirlpool Cabrio dryer by the following process;
- Plug your dryer into the power source and put it into standby mode, only the ‘Clothes Dry’ indicator should be ON.
- Choose any of the buttons on the control panel (except the ‘Cancel/Pause’ button) and repeat the following process with the same button;
- Press and hold the button for 2-5 seconds, release it and wait for 5 seconds. Repeat this process 3 times with the same button.
- All the indicators on the control panel will start glowing and ‘88’ will show on the time display.
- Next, error codes will be displayed on the screen, interpret their meaning, and troubleshoot the dryer accordingly.
- However, if the entry into the diagnostic mode is unsuccessful, follow these instructions.
You may be feeling eager to know more about the Whirlpool Cabrio dryer. Therefore, I am answering some of the common questions that are frequently asked by the users.
What does PF indicate on a Whirlpool Cabrio dryer?
PF is an error code that indicates power failure. Your Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer is not receiving sufficient power. Hence, its start button is flashing or cannot start. You should try plugging it into a different power outlet of 240V, checking the power cord, and resetting the circuit breaker.
Why is my Whirlpool Cabrio dryer giving squeaking sounds?
A squeaking, squealing, or piercing noise indicates a bad idler pulley or an obstruction in the drum. Pulley is attached to the motor and drum, the dryer belt passes on the idler pulley. Replacing the pulley or the belt can solve the issue. But, before that make sure that nothing is stuck inside the drum and preventing it from moving smoothly.
How can I lubricate my Whirlpool Cabrio dryer?
Lubrication is necessary to keep the dryer running smoothly. Otherwise, the belt and bearings suffer friction and can break. The belt is attached to the motor. Locate a small wheel near the belt that is attached to the shaft. Put 2-3 drops of 30-weight oil on each bearing, on the top and bottom of the shaft to lubricate your dryer.
You may also like: Fix the Whirlpool Dryer not Starting
Enter into diagnostic mode to find the fault via error code. Then, troubleshoot your dryer accordingly. Moreover, try the simple solutions mentioned in this guide.
I noticed that the most common causes behind the dryer not starting are dirty lint screen, clogged vent, and bad door latch. These things can be fixed at home very easily.
However, if the issue is intricate, contact Whirlpool for customer service.
By following this guide, you can fix your Whirlpool Cabrio dryer when the start button is flashing. Do not forget to give your opinion in the comment section.