It really irritates me when my dryer shuts OFF after a few minutes. I think I am not the only one who faces this issue. Many people around complain that their Samsung dryer (or any other) shuts OFF after a few minutes and clothes remain wet.
When it happened to me for the very first time, I disconnected my dryer from the power and let it cool down for a few minutes. Then, I started it up after 30 minutes and it worked pretty well.
However, this trick worked only a few times. Sometimes, my dryer continues working smoothly. But, other times, it stops frequently. This situation motivated me to find a permanent solution to the issue.
I did online research and found a lot of solutions. But, some were not applicable and others were silly. Hence, I picked up the most reasonable tricks and applied them to my Samsung dryer.
Fortunately, I found the root cause, my door latch was defective. The door remained open slightly when the dryer was running. So, my Samsung dryer shut OFF after a few minutes.
But, there may be some other problem with your Samsung dryer. Therefore, in this write-up, I am going to share my experiences and knowledge with you. Be sure to follow each step correctly.
Table of contents
Solution 1: Prevent Overheating
As I mentioned earlier, the most common cause behind the Samsung dryer not working is overheating. It happens due to many reasons. For example, if your dryer has been working for a long time, its motor gets overheated.
Moreover, weather conditions can also affect its performance. In hot weather, the machine components suffer dual heat. So, the solution is to prevent overheating by switching OFF your dryer for 30-60 minutes.
If this does not work, the motor is getting defective. Listen carefully if it gives a buzzing sound before stopping.
Solution 2: Check the Settings
The moisture sensor in a dryer works automatically. It detects the amount of moisture in the clothes and keeps on running until they are completely dry. However, you can also set its time manually.
If your Samsung dryer shuts OFF after a few minutes, you should adjust its time manually. This will not involve the sensor and the dryer will shut OFF at your set time.
The dryer running exactly for the fixed time indicates that every component is fine. Nevertheless, if it does not complete its time and shuts OFF in between, the motor, dryer belt, or any other component is faulty.
Solution 3: Clean the Moisture Sensor
The moisture sensor is responsible for monitoring the level of moisture. It detects the amount of moisture and wet clothes and sends signals to the control board.
If this sensor starts malfunctioning, it will send the wrong signals. For example, it will tell the dryer that the clothes are dried out and there is no moisture.
So, the control board will stop the dryer after a few minutes. This can happen when the sensor traps dirt or lint. Hence, you need to clean the sensor by the following steps;
- Open the dryer door and locate the sensor bars. These are two curved metal bars inside the drum near the lint filter housing.
- Take a soft towel, soak it in water to wet it slightly, and put a drop of liquid soap on it.
Now, move the towel over the moisture sensor bars to clean them.
- Next, take a dry towel and clean the machine part thoroughly.
- Turn ON your dryer and check its performance.
Solution 4: Test the Moisture Sensor
Your dryer should work properly after cleaning. However, if it still shuts OFF after a few minutes then perform the moisture sensor test.
Put some wet clothes into the dryer and run it.
If the dryer keeps running on after the clothes are completely dry, the sensor is malfunctioning. Another test is to put dry clothes into the machine.
The dryer should run for a few minutes and then shuts OFF. However, the sensor is faulty if it keeps on running for several minutes. In this case, you need to replace the moisture sensor of your Samsung dryer.
Solution 5: Replace the Moisture Sensor
First, you need to perform the tests I told you above. Once you have confirmed that the moisture sensor is faulty, replace it with the following method;
- Disconnect your Samsung dryer from the power supply.
- Now, loosen the screws on the top panel and take it off.
- Disconnect all the wires to the control board. Remove the screws holding the control panel and take it out.
- The lint screen housing on the front panel is held by some screws, remove them using a screwdriver.
- Close the door and dislodge the locking tab on the front panel with the help of pliers.
- Separate the front panel and disconnect the wiring harness linked to the moisture sensor.
- Next, remove the mounting plate, the lint screen, and the grille.
- Remove both the grill and the lint filter guide from the dryer.
- Install the new moisture sensor and put back everything in the correct order.
- Turn ON your Samsung dryer and check whether it shuts OFF after a few minutes or works properly.
Solution 6: Replace the Drive Belt
The drive belt is responsible for rotating the dryer drum. It goes around the dryer drum, idler pulley, and motor pulley. If this belt is broken or defective, the Samsung dryer shuts OFF after a few minutes.
Follow these steps to examine and replace the dryer belt;
- Switch Off your Samsung dryer and disconnect it from the wall power outlet.
- The top panel is fixed by the screws, loosen all the screws, and remove the panel.
- Now, remove the front panel by loosening its screws. It should expose the drive belt and two pulleys.
- Examine the belt for the signs of wear and tear. If it is damaged, purchase a new belt and replace the old one.
- First of all, observe carefully how the belt is adjusted on the pulleys and around the drum. It is better to take a picture or make a video so that you can put on the new belt perfectly.
- Remove the belt from the idler and the motor pulley. Pull up the belt to release it from the drum.
- Next, you need to remove the front guide from the dryer.
- Pull the drum a little out of the cabinet. In this way, you will be able to release the drive belt from the drum back.
- Take the new drive belt and wrap it around the drum as the previous one was fitted.
- The groove side of the belt should be set against the drum.
- Put the drum back into its place. Adjust the belt in the center of the drum and then attach it to the idler and motor pulley.
- Make sure that you have put everything correctly in its place. The belt should be in tension over the pulleys.
- Tighten all the screws and close the front and top panels.
Solution 7: Repair the Door Latch
The worn-out door latch is another reason your Samsung dryer shuts OFF after a few minutes. The door latch gets loose and this leads to the dryer door opening up when the machine is turned ON. The simple solution is to replace the door latch.
- Turn OFF your Samsung dryer completely. Now, open the screws on the door and remove its hinges.
- Separate the door from the dryer and remove the door latch using the pliers.
- Install the new door latch correctly. Reattach and fit the door back by fastening all the screws and hinges.
- Now, check your dryer if it works well or not.
Solution 8: Replace the Dryer Motor
If the motor of your Samsung dryer is defective if it is giving a buzzing sound of restarts after 5 minutes of stopping. So, you should replace the motor to solve the issue.
Purchase a new motor from a trusted supplier or from Samsung. Then, follow these steps to replace it;
- Shut OFF your Samsung dryer and disconnect it from the electric power supply.
- Remove the lower access panel, lint filter, and the screws below it.
- Now, remove the top panel of the dryer and also disconnect the door switch wires.
- Pull off the dryer belt from both pulleys but leave it on the drum.
- Remove the drum from the dryer cabinet and the motor will be visible.
- Detach all the wires from the motor and take it out.
- Now, install the new motor in its place and put the drum back.
- Close everything in the reverse order, fasten all the screws tightly, and close the top and lower panels.
You may also like: How to fix Ultrasonic humidifier not wokring
While working with my Samsung dryer, certain questions come to my mind. These are the most common questions that may be asked by almost every user. So, here I will provide you with the answers.
How can I reset the Samsung dryer?
The Samsung dryer does not have a reset button. Perform the reset by disconnecting your dryer from the power outlet. Wait for 10 minutes and plug it back again. Another method to reset it is by turning OFF the circuit breaker. You can try the reset if your Samsung dryer shuts OFF after a few minutes.
What to do when my Samsung dryer does not stop running?
Press the ‘Power’ button for a few seconds. If this does not work, reset the dryer through the breaker. Switch ON/OFF your Samsung dryer directly from the wall power outlet. Make sure the door is closed properly or replace the dryer door switch.
How to diagnose if my Samsung dryer is overheating?
Try touching your Samsung dryer to check the surface temperature. Another sign of overheating is that your dryer stops working or does not work properly. Moreover, there may be burnt marks on the clothes or they are too hot when you pull them out.
Sometimes, it is straightforward to diagnose the real cause. For example, my minute observation revealed that my Samsung dryer had a defective door latch.
While it can be a hectic thing to know the real reason behind the issue. In such cases, you need to try a number of tricks. I tried to provide you with all the potential solutions to fix your dryer.
As you read, it is not difficult to replace the faulty components at home if you have some knowledge about the machines. However, if you are not confident then call a technician or contact Samsung for customer support.
Do not forget to tell me in the comment section which of my proposed solutions fixed your issue of the Samsung dryer shutting OFF after a few minutes.