The Ring Doorbell is a popular choice for home security. With its convenient features such as motion detection and two-way audio, it’s no wonder why so many people have installed these devices. However, one issue that some Ring Doorbell users may encounter is a flashing red light on the device.
This can be a cause for concern, but don’t worry – in this article, we’ll explore the reasons behind the red light and provide you with troubleshooting steps to fix it. By the end of this post, you’ll have a better understanding of the red light and how to ensure your Ring Doorbell is working properly.
Table of contents
Reasons for the Ring Doorbell Flashing Red
Here are some possible reasons why the Ring Doorbell may be flashing red:
The most common reason for a Ring Doorbell to flash red is a low battery. When the battery level drops below a certain point, the device will start to flash red to alert you to recharge the battery.
Wi-Fi connectivity issues
If the Ring Doorbell is unable to connect to your Wi-Fi network, it may start to flash red. This could be due to weak Wi-Fi signal or incorrect network settings.
The Ring Doorbell is designed to work in a wide range of temperatures, but if it gets too hot, it may start to flash red. This can happen if the device is placed in direct sunlight or a location without proper ventilation.
Firmware update in progress
When the Ring Doorbell is updating its firmware, it may flash red to indicate that the update is in progress. This is a normal part of the update process and the doorbell should return to normal once the update is complete.
Here are some possible troubleshooting steps for each of the reasons listed above:
- Check the battery level in the Ring app. If it’s below 20%, it’s time to recharge the battery.
- Remove the battery from the Ring Doorbell and recharge it using the included USB cable.
- Replace the battery with a new one if it’s no longer holding a charge.
Wi-Fi connectivity issues
- Make sure the Ring Doorbell is within range of your Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi network is working.
- Reset your Wi-Fi network and try reconnecting the Ring Doorbell.
- Move the Ring Doorbell to a cooler location or one with more shade.
- Consider purchasing a sun shield to protect the device from direct sunlight.
- Check that the device is not covered by any obstructions that may prevent proper ventilation.
Firmware update in progress
- Wait for the firmware update to complete. This can take several minutes.
- Check the Ring app to see if the firmware update has finished.
- If the Ring Doorbell continues to flash red after the update is complete, try resetting the device or contacting Ring customer support for further assistance.
Advanced Troubleshooting Steps
Certainly! Here are some advanced troubleshooting steps that you can try if the basic steps don’t work:
Checking the doorbell’s power supply
- If you have a hardwired Ring Doorbell, check the wiring to make sure it’s properly connected.
- Use a voltage tester to check the voltage at the doorbell terminals.
- If the voltage is too low, you may need to hire an electrician to fix the wiring or increase the power supply.
Resetting the doorbell to its factory settings
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the Ring Doorbell for at least 20 seconds.
- Release the button and wait for the device to reset.
- Set up the device in Ring app.
Contact Ring customer support for further assistance
- If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps and the Ring Doorbell is still flashing red, it may be a hardware issue.
- Contact Ring customer support for further assistance.
- They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or offer a replacement device if necessary.
It’s important to note that these advanced troubleshooting steps should only be attempted by those who are comfortable working with electrical wiring and have experience troubleshooting electronic devices. If you’re unsure about any of these steps, it’s best to contact a professional for assistance.
What does a solid red light on Ring Doorbell mean?
A solid red light on Ring Doorbell usually means that the device is not receiving enough power. This can happen if the wiring is not properly installed or if the transformer is not providing enough power.
Why does my Ring Doorbell keep showing a red light?
If your Ring Doorbell keeps showing a red light, it may be due to a low battery, not enough power, or overheating. Follow the troubleshooting steps in this article to diagnose and resolve the issue.
What is the duration required to charge the battery of the Ring Doorbell?
The time it takes to charge the Ring Doorbell battery will depend on the battery capacity and the power source. Typically, it takes approximately four to five hours to achieve a complete charge of the Ring Doorbell battery.
Can I replace the Ring Doorbell battery?
Yes, the Ring Doorbell battery is replaceable. You can purchase a replacement battery from Ring or from third-party retailers.
What should I do if my Ring Doorbell is still not working after troubleshooting?
If your Ring Doorbell is still not working after troubleshooting, you may need to contact Ring support for further assistance. They can help you diagnose the issue and provide repair or replacement options if necessary.
Also Read: Why is Your Ring Doorbell Ringing by Itself?
A Ring Doorbell flashing red can be an alarming sight for homeowners who rely on the device for home security. However, as we’ve discussed in this article, there are several reasons why the Ring Doorbell may be flashing red, including a low battery, Wi-Fi connectivity issues, overheating, or a firmware update in progress. By following the troubleshooting steps we’ve outlined, you should be able to resolve the issue and get your Ring Doorbell back to working properly.
If the basic troubleshooting steps don’t work, there are advanced troubleshooting steps you can try, such as checking the doorbell’s power supply, resetting the device to its factory settings, or contacting Ring customer support for further assistance.
Remember, it’s important to keep your Ring Doorbell in good working condition to ensure that it’s providing the security you need. By following the troubleshooting steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that your Ring Doorbell is working properly and giving you peace of mind.